Powerball jackpot swells to $650million, making the prize third largest in US history
- There was no grand prize winner for the $535m Powerball drawing on Saturday
- Now the jackpot has soared to $650m and the next drawing is Wednesday
- If there is a winner this drawing, it will be the third-largest jackpot in US history
Published: 15:31 BST, 20 August 2017 | Updated: 22:54 BST, 20 August 2017
Powerball officials say there was no grand prize winner in the latest drawing, meaning one of the nation’s largest lottery jackpots will continue growing.
Saturday’s drawing for a chance at $535million was a bust, meaning that the prize will grow to about $650million for the next draw on Wednesday.
Maura McCann of the New Hampshire Lottery says no ticket matched all six numbers, which were: 17, 19, 39, 43, 68 and Powerball 13.
Now, the jackpot has grown to a life-changing $650million, which would be the third largest in U.S. history and the second-highest level for Powerball.
There was no grand prize winner for the $535million Powerball drawing on Saturday. Now the jackpot has soared to $650million and the next drawing is Wednesday
The highest-ever Powerball jackpot was nearly $1.6billion in a January 2016 draw, which was split between three winning tickets.
The prize has grown so large because no one has matched all six balls in more than two months, so the jackpot has grown after every drawing.
The odds of winning the jackpot are one in 292 million. The odds are always the same, regardless of the size of the prize.
The odds of winning any prize, including one as small as $4, are about one in 25, the association said.
The $650million jackpot will be the third-largest in U.S. history and the second-highest level in history for Powerball
No one has hit the Powerball jackpot in the semi-weekly drawings since June 10, when a California man won $447.8million.
Two other jackpots have also been awarded this year – $191million also in California, and $177million on a ticket bought in Arkansas.
Last summer’s $536million jackpot, won July 8, 2016, in Indiana, was the third largest Mega Millions jackpot in history and the most ever awarded to a single winner.
Powerball is played in 44 states as well as Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
TOP 10 LARGEST US JACKPOTS
1. $1.6billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $656million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
3. $648million, Mega Millions, Dec. 17, 2013 (two tickets, from California and Georgia)
4. $590.5million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (one ticket, from Florida)
5. $587.5million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (two tickets, from Arizona and Missouri)
6. $564.1million, Powerball, Feb. 11, 2015 (three tickets, from North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Texas)
7. $536million, Mega Millions, July 8, 2016 (one ticket, from Indiana)
8. $487million, Powerball, July 30, 2016 (one ticket, from New Hampshire)
9. $448.4million, Powerball, Aug. 7, 2013 (three tickets, one from Minnesota and two from New Jersey)
10. $447.8million, Powerball, June 10, 2017, (one ticket, from California
London: Man dismisses Matiu Ratana’s death while accosting police
Boris Johnson ‘misspeaks’ as he tries to clarify rule of six laws
DG Tim Davie: BBC stars could have their Twitter accounts suspended
MPs vote to pass Government’s controversial Internal Markets Bill
PM Boris Johnson shows off ‘hopeless’ woodworking skills
Toddler found wandering Hull streets alone until passer-by saves him
Fort on island off coast of Wales seen after transformation
Hundreds cram into Coventry University halls for illegal rave
Watch the first presidential debate in full: Trump vs Biden
Liverpool students seen at party at Cambridge Halls
Speaker slams government use of Covid laws but declines amendment
Boris Johnson’s face appears on British Tits chart during interview